Does this sound familiar?:
It felt like the right decision to make, but when I thought about it.. more and more doubts started to come up.
After having to deal with a difficult situation, I just keep thinking about what I could have said or done differently.
Whenever I go to bed, my mind just takes over and it makes it hard to fall asleep.
I'm so stuck in my mind, that I find it hard to truly feel what is going on in my body.
If you answered Yes to any of the above statements I'd like to welcome you to the Club of the Over-Thinkers. 🥂
Does this mean there's something wrong with you? Absolutely not. But is over-thinking making your life easier and more pleasant? Also absolutely not haha. And so it's up to you to do things differently.
To help you with this I've written down 5 tips that have helped me tremendously over the past years:
1. Your system functions best when you are happy, so this is the time to make decisions. Knowing that fears and doubts will pop up, you stick with the decision you made when feeling good.
2. Journal your thoughts before going to bed, as a way of cleaning up your head before sleeping.
3. Ground yourself by doing squats, dancing, walking in nature and eating warm food.
4. Distance yourself from your thoughts and emotions - You are not your thoughts nor your emotions.
5. Wherever you attention goes, your energy flows. And what receives your energy will grow. So consciously decide where you want to put your energy, rather put it on your surroundings or on your body (for example your feet).
All these things will help you to redirect your energy from your mind to wherever you do want it to go. They require practice and patience though, so make sure to be kind to yourself.